Friday, May 29, 2009

and on the 6th day, he bathed

so on top of all the stuff i was bitching about yesterday (and pardon my ranting, really. it's a bit much i know, especially for the guys who had to read about my whole woman thing. i guess i forgot that guys might actually read this) elvis called around ten something last night. i hadn't seen him in a couple of weeks and hadn't communicated with him since he sent me a text message at 1:30 a.m. (on a school night!) asking if i wanted some company. i POLITELY replied at a decent hour the following morning and suggested that if he wanted to hang out with me, he should make plans in advance. none of this let me call you after work and swing by so we can make out business. though he responded with a "sounds good", i figured he wouldn't actually do that. and that was fine with me. so in the six days since, i hadn't given it much thought. anyway, he called, and i decided to answer because i do like him as a person even if he isn't exceptional dating material. small talk ensued. he told me about how busy he'd been, etc. told me he'd been spending nights in his ride to which i responded by asking "so how do you brush your teeth and wash your face and all that?" he said he does it at work and then showers at a friend's in between jobs. which brought him to the point of this here phone call. "i didn't get by my friend's today, so i was wondering if i could come by and use your shower." ain't this a bitch, i thought, and laughed out loud. unbelievable! however, it never really crossed my mind to say no. i mean, i believe that all people--men, women, black, white, jew and gentile--have the right to shower. how could i deprive him of that? i do want him to be clean. i DO. and no, it's not my fault that his living situation is such that he doesn't have a shower to call his own, and no i shouldn't feel the need to offer my bathroom to every shower-needy person in LA, but...i said yes. he did mention that he had his own towel to dry off with, so i guess that was incentive for me.

five minutes later, he was there. with a face towel in hand. yes, one of the itty bitty square ones. i asked him if he truly intended on drying off with that. he did. maybe he knew all along that i would see that and hand him a "big boy" towel. maybe not. in either case, i did just that, and off he went. while he enjoyed my hot water, i laid on my couch and thought, "is this really my life? is ANYBODY upstairs running this show, ensuring that this life makes sense and that there's a happy ending or is this shit just on autopilot?" he eventually emerged and sat his ass on MY couch in MY wet towel, leaving the cushion nice and damp when he stood up. apparently, he's not into sportscenter or the news, so i turned on the colbert report, which entertained him until he decided he'd rather make out. i was not really feeling that idea...initially, but i have to say, the boy makes one of the most persuasive arguments i've witnessed in a long time. and he smelled so fresh. and his hair was so...curly! (yes, i discovered that elvis has a lovely head of curls that he hides under all that whatchamacallit that he puts in it to straighten it out. i told him he should really consider going with the natural look). so he got to shower, AND he got to kiss me repeatedly. lucky bastard. a couple of hours later, he redressed himself, packed himself into his "mobile home" and headed off to who knows where. and that was my night.

i wonder if he left that little towel at my house on purpose. like is this going to a regular thing, LA?

3 comments:

C. Anthoney said...

Yup. He marked his territory if he left ANYTHING at your place. And if you don't want to believe that, he at least left it to make and excuse to come back.

Although, "Hey, I wanted to see if I could come by to pick up my 8" x 8" hand towel," is a REALLY lame line, so I hope it's the first one.

synicalme said...

I am thoroughly speechless.....

Anonymous said...

two quintessential LA oddities are neatly embedded in this story:

good looking homeless man can always get a date; but the hottest cat with no car is shit outta luck.

the other LA (or maybe beyond) truth...the extent of lame male behavior that women will reward seems to know no bounds.

-eyes peeled awaiting the next episode.