Monday, March 2, 2009

old at heart

i am such an old biddy. i go home after work, eat in front of the tv, bathe, and i'm in my pajamas by 7:15. i watch crime shows with the volume up way too loud and then fall asleep with all the lights on. on top of that, i don't like noise (that produced by other people anyway). i've called 311 a number of times on folks who were keeping me from getting my good sleep. in austin, the guy who lived under me would play music ridiculously loud at 3 a.m. I don't feel like anyone should have to listen to their walls thump to the beat of Ace of Base after 11 o'clock. i'd call the po-pos and lie really still 'til the police came. then i'd press my ear up against the wall, so i could eavesdrop on their ineffective reprimanding. i also called the police on my old neighbors in LA. they too were causing quite a stir, but this was less music and more...screaming and beating the shit out of each other. these two guys would throw each other around like rag dolls, hitting walls, slamming doors. at one point, the whole closet came crashing down. so i think i did all of us a favor on that one. i've also been known to sit at the window and watch tow trucks tow away illegally parked cars in the middle of the night. seriously, all i need is a goddamn herd of cats and a hearing aid.

anyway, i had another old lady moment this weekend when a slew of youngsters at 2:45 saturday morning were playing music and causing quite a ruckus outside. i had to be up at 7, so this was not going to work for me. after about fifteen minutes, i made the call and waited. when i saw the red and blue lights flashing on my wall, i crept to the window. that's when i realized that there were like 5 car loads of people out there. i couldn't really get a good view of what was going on because of my drapes. i tried to crawl into the kitchen and watch from there, but i have no window coverings, and i didn't want to be exposed. i was sure someone would spot me, and i'd have all my windows (or skull) bashed in. from what i COULD see and hear though, there were imaginary lines being walked and ABCs being recited backwards. i DID feel bad when i saw them all sitting on the curb with their hands behind their backs. and i felt really bad when, after a search of vehicles, i heard some kid say, "officer, that's not mine. i swear." and then somebody else yelled, "ain't this a bitch." yeah. yeah, it is a bitch. sorry about that. i just wanted some sleep; i wasn't trying to send anyone to the slammer for possession. my bad.

i don't know what the end result was. couldn't really tell.
would i do it again? i'm not going to lie. yeah, i would. i can't help it. i'm a biddy!!! it will probably get worse as i age. so word of advice, keep your kids out of my yard (when i get one), or else i will come after them with my cane.

No comments: