Monday, June 9, 2008

the joys of misdirection

so this weekend i got my act together, and i'm feeling a little better about things. i found a new apartment. my landlord begged me to stay, promising not to raise the rent. when i politely declined the offer, he got a little punchy and asked me could i leave early (i.e. before the end of the month) so he could rent the place out. i reminded him that he already has three vacant apartments he could be working on. he told me "not to worry about that. they'll be rented by then." yeah...right. hell no, i can't leave early. are you going to give me some of my money back?? speaking of money, i just checked my account online, and bank of america seems to have deducted an extra thousand dollars for some ungodly reason which has thrown EVERYTHING off, and now my account looks like the parting of the red sea. BUT, i'm not going to let that ruin me just yet...

so back to why i'm feeling better. i also forced myself to write this weekend, which was necessary. once i get into something, i never want to stop. it's just forcing myself to actually pick up a pen (i write by hand) that is the toughest part. then i came into work this morning and checked my mailbox, where i found a small gift in the form of misdirected mail.

let me back up for a second. back in march, the receptionist at my place of employment, who i'm friends with and who knows what it is i truly want to be doing with my life, received the mail of a very successful showrunner/creator. how we received this person's mail is beyond me. he/she lives in the neighborhood, but doesn't live on this street, so it's not like accidentally getting your neighbor's mail. it's more like getting the mail of someone two streets over and three blocks down. the receptionist put the mail in my box. having the address of a showrunner/creator is one of those blessing/curse things. it's great and all, and how many people would give their right arm for it? but those limb-cutters are crazy, and other people, like myself look at it and think, "really...what are you going to do with that besides make an ass of yourself in someway and get slapped with a restraining order?" so i put it aside, and didn't really think about it again...that is until today when once again, i found in my box more of this person's mail. once in a lifetime is sorta crazy, something you tell your friends about over a drink at st. nick's. TWICE is god snatching you up by the collar and screaming, "heifer! i'm trying to help your ass out!" i mean, come on...twice? so after checking with my friends who were in law school while i was studying three act structure and making sure that this isn't illegal and i won't go to jail for "wrongful acquisition of federal property for use for personal gain" or some jazz, i decided to send the showrunner his/her mail and throw in just a brief letter about myself, what i want to do and what i've accomplished thus far. oh, and a 72 page pilot for him/her to read. i guess i'm feeling a little limb-cutterish myself, and hey, entertainment people usually have some weird leap to success, right?
i am a bit more hopeful today in L.A.

No comments: